NUTRITION AND THE BIBLE
Presentation by Pastor Dave Fruehauf Based in part on the book: What The Bible Says About Healthy Living by Rex Russell, MD. Regal Books The following information is not given to prevent or cure any specific disease.
1. Eat the foods God created for you.
2. Don't alter God's design.
3. Don't let any food or drink become your God.
1. God's laws are intended to bless and benefit his people. Spiritually, physically and socially. Not morally bound to follow, but is it wise to ignore them?
2. God desires our health even in a fallen world A. God promised good health to the Jewish people: "If you will listen carefully to the Lord your God and do what he considers right, if you pay attention to his commands and obey all his laws, I will never make you suffer any of the diseases I made the Egyptians suffer, because I am the Lord who heals you." Ex. 15:26. (Hebrew raphah to mend, cure, repair) These commands include those which deal with what we should and should not eat.
1. "I have given you every plant with seeds on the face of the earth and every tree that has fruit with seeds. This will be your food." Genesis 1:29 A. Includes all grains, vegetables with seeds (beans, legumes, sesame, corn, etc.) nuts and fruits. Adam and Eve were vegans. Those who lived prior to the Flood had life spans approaching 1000 years. Today, Seventh-day Adventists (who are mostly vegans) live an average of twelve years longer than the
regular population and have lower rates of degenerative dIseases. The Hunzas lived in the Himalayas - no cancer, ulcers, appendicitis, colitis, heart disease or hypertension were found. Ate grains, nuts, vegetables, fruits, and legumes only. Lived from 90120 years. Today, modem life styles have made inroads and the Hunzas are losing their longevity.
B. Ideal conditions in the Garden of Eden.
1. Perfect conditions for growing a perfect vegetable garden. No weeds or poisonous plants. Imagine the wide variety!
2. Perfect conditions for Adam and Eve to obtain perfect nutrition. Plants filled with amino acids, vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants, enzymes.
3. Ate their foods raw. Picked at the peak of perfection. Obtained health benefits of the sun without getting skin cancer.
4. Large variety of the best tasting fresh foods! Adam and Eve were designed to be vegans with a digestive system designed for uncooked plant foods. Had a perfect, natural supply of digestive enzymes.
(Less than the ideal after sin and death entered the world.) Adam and Eve would now die. Their bodies no longer perfect. Built in aging, deterioration, defectiveness, allergies, disease, sickness and death. I.Genesis 3:18 "Cursed is the ground because of you; through painful toil you will eat of it all the days of your life. It will produce thorns and thistles for you, and you will eat plants of the field''
a. God broadens the menu. Gives permission to eat herbs, foods without seeds in them: leaf, root and tuber vegetables. (like lettuce, cabbage, kale, spinach, carrots, parsnips, beets, etc.
b. After the Great Flood, God tells Noah, "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. But you must not eat meat that has its lifeblood still in it." Genesis 9:3,4 God gives permission to eat animal meat but with a restriction. What about sea creatures, birds and insects? "Of all the creatures living in the water of the seas and the streams, you may eat any that have fins and scales... Anything living in the water that does not have fins and scales is to be detestable to you." Leviticus 11:9,12. Scavengers (shrimp, oysters, etc.) collect the waste and toxins from the bottom of the sea. Birds which are scavengers are not to be eaten Leviticus 11:13-18. Vultures, crows Insects which may be eaten or may not be eaten are listed. Leviticus 20-23: Grasshoppers are ok for food! "The Israelites started crying again and said, 'If only we had meat to eat! Remember all the free fish we ate in Egypt and the cucumbers, watermelons, leeks, onions, and garlic we had? But now we've lost our appetite! Everywhere we look there is nothing but manna!" Numbers 11:5,6.
1. "Never eat any fat from cattle, sheep or goats." Leviticus 7:23 "Never eat the blood of any bird or animal no matter where you live." Lev.7:26.
2. "You must distinguish between the unclean and the clean, between living creatures that may be eaten (cloven hoofed and cud chewing) and those that may not be eaten." Lev. 11:47 The cover fat of both clean and unclean animals is forbidden. The internal marbling fat of clean animals is permitted. Range fed animals which are exercised and eat leafy plants and grasses will have healthier internal fat. The cattle in Bible times were range fed. Were not fed antibiotics, pesticides, fungicides or growth hormone additives. Were not fed diseased or dead animal parts.
3.Modern evaluation of toxins in animal meat: all designated clean animals are in the safe range; all unclean animals are in the toxic range.
4. Milk and meat should not be consumed together. Milk interferes with the digestion of meat. Exodus 23:19: "Do not cook a young goat in its Mother's milk." Small amounts of butter are permitted.
5. God gives instructions to use olive oil. "For the Lord your God is bringing you into a good land-a land with wheat and barley,wines and fig trees, pomegranates, olive oil and honey." Deut.8:7,8 Olive oil contains anticancer properties, leads to more efficient cardiac contractions and does not lead to vascular disease. Olive oil is digested in a process similar to complex carbohydrates. Olive oil was once scorned by many in the medical profession but is now highly recommended.
1. Over processing and overheating destroy digestive enzymes found in fresh vegetables, whole gains, fruits and nuts and seeds. Overheating and re-heating vegetable oils makes them carcinogenic. God has placed enzymes in foods to help with the digestive process. Adam and Eve
ate raw plant foods containing all of the enzymes put into them. We only receive benefit from the foods our bodies are able to digest properly.
2. Processed and "refined" vegetable oils found on supermarket shelves undergo procedures which completely change their natural structure changing them into clear, odorless oils that are tasteless killers.
3. Expeller pressed unrefined liquid oils protected from air, light, heat and chemicals retain the natural healthy structure of the oil. Available in food co-ops. Store in the refrigerator. Small amounts of olive oil or butter are best for cooking.
I . Sulfides - onions and garlic
2. Indoles and sulforaphanes - cruciferous vegetables
3. Carotenes - antioxidants to protect cells - carrots, sea vegetables, brightly colored vegetables
4. Indoles and lignens - whole grains
5. Polyphenols - green teas
6. Limonene - citrus fruits
7. Quercetin - grapes esp. the skins
8. Phenoles - raw fruits and vegetables
9. Phytonutrients brown rice and other whole grains
I O.Phytoestrogens (isoflavones)- soy beans and soy products; flax seeds
These anti-oxidants work together to protect the body's cells
from the destructive action of free radicals. That's why it is
important to eat a variety of vegetables and fruits every day.
1. Red Dye #40 suspected cancer agent
2. Carmel color - lowers immune system functions
3. DES - synthetic hormone used in chicken and cattle feed. Causes cancer.
4. Sodium nitrate - in cured meats - turns into nitrosamines when heated - a potent carcinogen.
5. Cyclamates and saccharin - chemical sweeteners
6. Hexachlorophene - cosmetics, deodorants
1. Outer layer of animal (suet) clogs arteries. Saturated hard fats. Kills
2. Healthy Oils (Omega 3s) naturally found in vegetables, grains, beans, flax seeds, soy foods, walnuts, cold water fish. Heals
3. Mono-unsaturated oils (Omega 9s) build sturdy cell membranes. Easily digested. Do not clog arteries. Maintains good levels of HDL's. In olive oil, avocados, olives. Heals
4. Hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated fats (margarine, crisco, etc.) clog arteries. Worse than saturated fat. Kills,
5. Over consumption of polyunsaturates is carcinogenic. These Omega 6 (alpha-linoleic) oils are found in corn, sunflower, safflower, etc. Kills
6. The Omega 3 oils are essential fatty acids needed for health and longevity. Found abundantly in flax seeds and flax oil, hemp oil, walnuts, almonds and in fish oil from salmon, tuna, mackerel and sardines. Small amounts are found in other nuts, beans and grains. Fish oil also contains DHA (also in mother's milk) and EPA which are essential nutrients for the brain. Heals
7. Flaxseed oil contains alpha-linolenic acid, an omega-3 oil that the body can convert to EPA and DHA. There is a marine plant source for DHA (phytoplankton) which can be purchased as a supplement. DHA is the building block of human brain tissue and the retina. New research is showing that Omega-3 oils can help children with ADD and ADHD and can help folks with depression problems by raising the level of serotonin in the brain. The eggs and meat of chickens will have increased amounts of Omega-3 fats if they are fed green grass and plants and flaxseed. Omega 3 oils lower total and LDL (bad) cholesterol, protect cells from mutations leading to cancer, help maintain healthy blood pressure and reduce arthritis symptoms. Aids in digestion and increases energy. Omega 3 oils are not converted to stored body fat: German Biochemist, Dr. Johanna Budwig discovered the impo rtance of Omega 3 oils in helping the body recover from cancer. The human body needs Omega 3 (linolenic) and Omega 6 (linoleic) oils. Called Essential Fatty Acids. Heals. fats
I.Fasting prevents low levels of digestive enzymes from being overwhelmed by over-consumption. Regularly eating large portions of meat seriously stresses the digestive process and can deplete the supply of necessary digestive enzymes.
2.Animal protein contains sulfuric amino acid causing the bloodstream to become acidic when large portions are eaten. The body pulls calcium from the bones to act as a buffer. Societies which consume the highest amount of meat also have the highest rate of osteoporosis, heart disease and cancer. Food addictions may require from three weeks to three months of abstinence for the body to discharge the excess.
I . The proteins in grains are of the highest quality and usefulness for us. They contain enzymes that assist in the proper digestion of the kernel of grain. Grains contain minerals and are highly absorbable by the body. Millet is high in calcium and is alkaline.
2. Grains contain anti-oxidents and lignens which help keep cells healthy. There are over 70 anti-oxidents in brown rice.
3. God has designed grains to be the center of the human diet.
1. The body constantly seeks the proper balance in its PH.
2. Cancer patients generally have a PH on the acid side.
3. Vegetables and fruits and calcium help the body maintain alkalinity.
4. Meats and dairy products produce acidity in the body.
1. Honey is mentioned many times in scripture as a food.
2. Raw honey (esp. dark) contains nutrients, antioxidants and enzymes. Scripture warns about over-consumption of honey.
3. Rice syrup and Barley malt are healthy sweeteners when used in moderation.
4. Clean (organic, non-homogenized) cow and goat's milk are given as food in scripture. Homogenizing milk breaks up the larger butterfat globules in whole milk into tiny globules. The large globules pass through and out of the body. The tiny globules of homogenized milk pass into the bloodstream raising cholesterol and triglycerides.
1.Storehouse of B vitamins, folic acid and a rich source of protein and complex carbohydrates. Low in fat; Contain small amounts of healthy fat. Folic acid protects against heart disease and cancer. Soluble fiber lowers cholesterol. Contain protease inhibitors which protect against cancer.
2.Soybeans have extraordinary health benefits. Contain complete protein, same quality as milk, meat and eggs but lack cholesterol. Contain healthy fat. FDA approves
"heart healthy" claim for the soybean and soy products. Helps lower cholesterol including LDL. Reduces chances
of blood clots. Contains phytoestrogens which help protect against breast and prostate cancer. FDA recommends minimum of 25 grams per day.
4. Tofu, tempeh, miso, soy milk, textured vegetable protein (TVP) are healthy soy products.
1. Make grains the center of your meals. Look for Kashi - a seven- pilaf with sesame seeds. Complete protein.
2. Include beans on a regular basis.
3. Include vegetables and/or fruits at each meal
4. As much as possible, eat vegetables and fruits raw or lightly cooked. Save the water for soup.
5. Use organically grown vegetables and fruits as much as possible. Eat a variety of below and above ground vege's. Eat colorful fruits like blueberries, strawberries, cherries.
6. Avoid drinking chlorinated water.
7. Drink green tea daily.
8. Avoid soft drinks. Instead, juice vegetables and fruits
10. Use meat as a side dish occasionally in small amounts. Choose range fed chicken and beef
11. Eat cold water fish and lake fish (with fins and scales). Choose farm-raised fish when possible. At food co-ops.
12. Eating natural sauerkraut (not heated or canned) will add additional enzymes into the digestive system. Found in the cooler in natural food stores.
13. Recipe for Ezekiel Bread: Ez. 4:9. Available in Food Co-ops. Bread E 4:
I. What The Bible Says About Healthy Living By Rex Russell, M.D. Regal Books
2. Be Lean, Healthy Energetic By Helene Berk Health Commitment Publishing Co. Cleveland, Ohio Contains recipes.
3. God's Way to Ultimate Health "The Hallelujah Diet" Based on Genesis 1:29. By Rev. Dr. George H. Malkmus Published by Hallelujah Acres Publishing, P.O. Box 2388 Shelby, NC 28151
4. The Self-Healing Cookbook by Kristina Turner Published by Earthtones Press, P.O. Box 411, Vashon Island, WA 98070 Food-Your Miracle Medicine by Jean Carper Published by Harper Collins
5. Subscribe to: Alternatives: For The Health Conscious Individual. A monthly newsletter giving latest info on nutritional research. By Dr. David G. Williams 1-800-219-8501. Mountain Home Publishing
6. Purchase bread made by Natural Ovens of Manitowoc. It is whole grain and contains, flaxseed (Omega 3 oils) Available at Cub, Byerlys and Lunds.
7. Get acquainted with a food co-op near you.
8. Use a variety of cooking methods: steaming, pressure cooking, baking, stir frying (very little oil).
9. Fats That Heal - Fats That Kill by Udo Erasmus. Alive Books, Vancouver, Canada.
10. The Doctors Book of Food Remedies by Selene Yeager Rodale Press, Emmaus, Pennsylvania